The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

"Rent" the movie

So.....we saw "Rent" on the night it opened in movie theatres....

Um...this is how I feel- it is worth seeing. However, if you have seen the show as a play you will be dissapointed. There's just something about being in New York and being a part of that atmosphere that adds to seeing the show staged. You're in New York and you feel NY and you are a part of it- and you get the show. However, seeing it in a movie theatre in Dallas just doesn't make you feel part of the city and like you understand where these people are coming from. So much of that show was built on that NY atmosphere and bohemian attitude. It's lost on the screen.

Also, "Rent" is sort of a non-musical musical. I mean, it was not a show intended to be cheesy or cliche like other musicals, and for some reason on the screen it became that way. There were parts that were downright cheesy. On the stage it was just cool and edgy and original. I don't know. I was happy with it, but the stage production is just so much cooler. But of course, if you see the movie you can just go see the stage production some day and be very pleased. Either way, I recommend seeing it. The music is great, and the cast is stellar. When I saw the show I saw a few of those people. Jenny you've seen that show yes? I'm sure you saw a few more of the OBC than I did. I saw the more recent cast.

Oh, and everybody in the show really does have AIDS. As I heard this weekend...


"525,600 minutes...until I get AIDS-"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home