The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Scmoozfest 2006

So I am back from TETA, or what I like to refer to as Theatre Schmoozfest 2006. It was just a bunch of Theatre higher-ups sitting around, tooting each other's horns, and drinking a lot. The convention itself was okay. I got to see some old friends and meet some new ones (as you will see in the soon-to-come Picture Diary that I will e-mail out this week).

Thursday Cameron and I arrived. There wasn't much shaking at the Convention itself. We met up with my friends Sarah Dickey, Candace Hooper, Jim McCoy, and Alex Peevy. We then ventured off to Greune, TX to have dinner with Cameron's Grandma, Aunt Mary, and Uncle Kent. Cameron gave me a tour of his hometown, San Marcos, and I saw his childhood home (snooze.....just kidding Cam!). Then we ate in historic Gruene at the Gristmill (I must also mention that this is our first meal that we are completely taking off of our diet. We took the entire weekend off to prepare for the diet we started today (which I will address later)). We also stopped by Greune Hall, the oldest honky tonk in Texas ( http://www.gruenehall.com/). It was pretty fun. After dinner we headed back to Austin, where my friends all wanted to stay in....consequently Cameron and I stayed in and hit the hotel bar. Luckily, we like hanging out with each other exclusively.

Friday, amidst the convention, Cameron and I went and met his hippy friend Jody. We relaxed with Jody for the afternoon, and that was so exhausting that we had to go back for a nap. That evening we had dinner with Jody at the Brick Oven for some Italian. It was a good time. We then venture out to 6th Street, where after hitting a couple of bars we met up with some of my Theatre friends who were also attending TETA (highlights will be in picture diary). After hitting McDonalds (because we were off the diet! Woo hoo!), we headed home.

On Saturday, after lunch with Candace and Dickey, we HAD to have a nap. That night we had dinner at P.F. Chang's with Cameron's childhood friend Erin and her fiance' Will. It was completely worth the hour and 45 minute wait! After that we headed out to 6th street where we met up with Tanya, Gibby, and a couple other friends to the Treasure Island Bar (yeah, lame name...but great specials).

Also, on a side note...they just passed a SMOKING BAN in Austin 2 months ago! Woo hoo! Let's inconvenience smokers more if we have to! I loved watching them smoking outside of bars on 6th street.

So after an evening, we headed back to the hotel. On Sunday we headed home, where we started planning for THE DETOX DIET (or as I like to call it, the "I want to kill myself diet"). I will have a separate entry for THE DETOX DIET.

Hope your weekend was as relaxing as mine.

Lins

4 Comments:

  • At 3:23 AM , Blogger Dwayne said...

    Exactly what is a Theater "higher up?" Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick were at the Austin convention Tooting each other's horns?

     
  • At 3:25 AM , Blogger Dwayne said...

    So did you guys see the question to Bush while he was lecturing at Kansas State University? He was asked if he had seen Brokeback Mountain? He was so cauught off guard...

     
  • At 8:07 AM , Blogger Mrs. G said...

    Texas Theatre higher-ups is what I should have said. The guys who run the UIL Play Competition....and they also brought in some workshop people and speakers and whatnot.

    I didn't see that, but it would have made me laugh. Also, isn't Bush kindof perpetually caught off guard?

     
  • At 4:24 PM , Blogger Mom Oyler said...

    I think he was caught off guard, but then gave a good response.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home