The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Seriously Scary Movie


Okay, so Cam and I watched one of the scariest movies EVER the other night. At least, I would put it in the Top 5 Scariest Movies Ever.

Here is the link to it in case you want to check it out- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/

The basic premise is this: a group of British women go spelunking in Appalachia and they get more than just an adventure.

The reason I love this movie is that it has all the elements of a great horror film. Most horror films only have 1 or 2 of these...but this film as all 5 things to make a great horror film. (In case you are wondering, the five things are as follows):

1. STARTLING MOMENTS. (These aren't what makes a great horror film..but they are definetely necessary. Sometimes we just need to get so scared that we scream or jump. It's good for us)


2. GOOD GORE (I know you don't like this, Mom. But it's necessary)

3. PSYCHOLOGICAL ASPECTS (This is what I really love about horror films. I like the type of horror that makes you go "Oh my God I can't believe this....what would I DO in this situation?" The movie "Deep Water" was a great example of this- you're stranded in the ocean and you know that no one is coming to get you. What do you do? What does this do to your psyche? I cannot watch a horror film without some mind games and pyscho-analysis. Something that I love about this movie is that it is shot to make you feel like you are really there. Cameron HATED this about the film, but I loved it. I loved it that I felt like I was in a cave and I couldn't see what was going on around me. It really added to the scariness)

4. A GOOD VILLIAN/MONSTER (It can't be stupid like Freddy or Jason or JEEPERS CREEPERS. It has to be cool, original, and a little believable. The villian/monster in this film is awesome)

5. A GREAT ENDING (I hate stupid endings)



SOOOOOO...this movie is worth seeing. Check it out.



Lindsay

ps- if i were going to rank the Top 1- Scariest movies of all time they would go as follows:

1. The Exorcist

2. The Descent

3. Poltergeist

4. Seven

5. Nosferatu

6. Amityville Horror

7. 28 Days Later

8. Rosemary's Baby

9. The Blair Witch Project

10. The Ring
pps- we also watched Snakes on a Plane. ..and it was really entertaining. Funny and a little creepy.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home