The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Spinal Tap

The neurologist says that there is DEFINITELY something wrong with my back and he is concerned about my sciatic nerve.

After doing some research online, I found out that the 3 things that USUALLY cause problems and pain in the sciatic nerve are:



1) Lumbar Bulging or Herniated Disc
A bulging disc is also known as a contained disc disorder. This means the gel-like center (nucleus pulposus) remains 'contained' within the tire-like outer wall (annulus fibrosus) of the disc. A herniated disc occurs when the nucleus breaks through the annulus. It is called a 'non-contained' disc disorder. Whether a disc bulges or herniates, disc material can press against an adjacent nerve root and compress delicate nerve tissue and cause sciatica. The consequences of a herniated disc are worse. Not only does the herniated nucleus cause direct compression of the nerve root against the interior of the bony spinal canal, but the disc material itself also contains an acidic, chemical irritant (hyaluronic acid) that causes nerve inflammation. In both cases, nerve compression and irritation cause inflammation and pain, often leading to extremity numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness.


(2) Lumbar Spinal Stenosis

(What Mom Has)


Spinal stenosis is a nerve compression disorder most often affecting mature people. Leg pain similar to sciatica may occur as a result of lumbar spinal stenosis. The pain is usually positional, often brought on by activities such as standing or walking and relieved by sitting down. Spinal nerve roots branch outward from the spinal cord through passageways called neural foramina comprised of bone and ligaments. Between each set of vertebral bodies, located on the left and right sides, is a foramen. Nerve roots pass through these openings and extend outward beyond the spinal column to innervate other parts of the body. When these passageways become narrow or clogged causing nerve compression, the term foraminal stenosis is used.



(3) Spondylolisthesis

(What Andy Has)


Spondylolisthesis is a disorder that most often affects the lumbar spine. It is characterized by one vertebra slipping forward over an adjacent vertebra. When a vertebra slips and is displaced, spinal nerve root compression occurs and often causes sciatic leg pain. Spondylolisthesis is categorized as developmental (found at birth, develops during childhood) or acquired from spinal degeneration, trauma or physical stress (i.e. weightlifting).




So, pretty much I am screwed. I am getting an MRI today at 6 p.m. I will let you all know when I get the results. But to be honest, I am in so much pain every day that I am HOPING that I have to have surgery. My biggest fear is that they will say "Well, it's (insert condition here), and you are just going to have to learn to live with it because it is not treatable.) I AM SO SCARED OF THAT. I can't live like this. I'm only 24 and I feel 80. I'd rather do 3 months on my back and in a brace than live like this for the next 60+ years.

I know- boo hoo.

Anyway, I will keep you posted.


Lins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home