The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Monday, November 06, 2006

My busy life

Okay okay....so it's been a while since you've heard from me. Well, I've been SUPER-BUSY because my students have been doing "Charlotte's Web". We closed last week. We had 2 daytime performances for visiting schools. They went great and the students/teachers loved them. Our 3 family night performances also went great. Thursday had a light turnout because we were competing with the JV football game (blah Texas) and then Saturday and Sunday had better turnouts. All in all, we made about $800 in admissions. So that is great. It was a great success, especially considering Farmersville has never had a fall play before. Everyone was pleased. Well, except most of my bosses didn't really mention (or see) the show....but nonethless I was proud of myself and that is what matters. That's a whole 'nother issue really....

The past week I've really just been winding down from the show and trying to prepare for the next one. For our ONE-ACT PLAY competition, we are doing Medea by Euripides (greek, old, mom kills her kids to get back at her husband for marrying another chick). So that won't start for another 2 months, but auditions are at the end of this month. So I'm trying to prepared.

This past weekend I went to my first Aggie game in College Station, TX. Cam, of course, is an alum of A&M and I am alum of the A&M system, we consider ourself proud Aggies. From what Cameron had told me about College Station, I had pictured it to be a lot like Manhattan, KS or Stillwater, OK....and I was right. They have a cool bar district and the atmosphere is a lot like K-State or OSU. Except way more awesome.

A&M has a lot of awesome traditions...there are HUNDREDS of them (like kissing your date every time the Aggies score, all of their songs and yells, the 12th Man, Bonfire, etc). So, we went to Midnight Yell practice on Friday night before the game. Basically there are about 30,000 people there at midnight to practice the "yells" that the students do at the game. And EVERYBODY knows them. It was awesome. It was led by the Corps of Cadets (which A&M is pretty famous for). There is also a part in Midnight Yell practice where everyone makes out with their date. That was my favorite part. After Midnight Yell practice we went out in Northgate (there version of Aggieville). Cam's friends own a bar in Northgate, so we had free drinks and fun.

The next day we went and got our Maroon Aggie clothes so that we could "Maroon out" at the game, and then we headed to hang out with friends and tailgate. It was quite a production. Our tickets were pretty far away and pretty high...but we didn't care.


Now let me say this...I have seen college games and even have been to pro games- basketball, football, and baseball.....but I have NEVER seen anything like an Aggie game. There was 85,000 people there ALL in maroon and all cheering and making noise. It was so loud. You can't imagine. I am posting some pics so you can see. The pics won't do it justice, but it was awesome.

So November will be a little slower for me. I'm getting back into the swing of things and doing shows again for the Hub- murder mysteries on Friday and Saturday nights. I'll be at Andy and Amy's for Thanksgiving. Not sure when I'm coming up there, but I DO get the whole week off for Thanksgiving so that is awesome...then Cameron will join us on Friday. He will be with his family on Thanksgiving but will drive up after "The Day After Thanksgiving Miracle" (when the Aggies beat UT). So he will be with us part of vacation at least.

Rest of Thanksgiving will be pretty boring...just shows, work, and stuff. In December things will pick up a bit.

Don't forget to VOTE! I'm registered Texas now, so I've got some important Gubernatorial decisions to make. Sorry Dad, but it might be straight-ticket Democrat this year. Just kidding...I have some independent candidates that I like :)

Hope everyone is good.

Lins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home