The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Movies Movies Movies

Okay, so I've watched A LOT of movies lately. I'm going to review them and give them some stars. No- not stars....let's go with something more creative. How about we go with the "cute baby" ranking system. Yes, that's what I'm in the mood for. I will give them from zero to 10 cute babies. Here goes:


Little Children- Very interesting and disturbing. A drama about pedophilia and adultery starring Kate Winslet (whom I love). It was nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars and one of the male leads was nominated and won Best Supporting Actor. It was that guy from the original Bad News Bears all grown up. Weird, I know. Anyway - it was good if you want to leave with an icky feeling and you don't mind some gratuitous nudity. Oh, PS, it stars the lead guy from Hard Candy (which if you haven't seen yet you should spank yourself because it is AWESOME) and he is very beautiful. Little Children- I give it 6 out of 10 cute babies and I recommend it for Dwayne and Jenny and Andy and Amy.







Next up is The Last King of Scotland. This film was AWESOME. I recommend it to ALL OF YOU. I usually don't do that- but I'm going to here. Forest Whitaker got an Oscar for his performance in the film, and the story is true. Absolutely awesome. A little bit of nudity so be prepared for that. But it's necessary and the film is awesome. Watch it. Oh and PS again- one of the male leads is this ADORABLE Scottish actor. I don't know his name but I was lusting after him the whole time. Don't tell Cameron. Last King of Scotland- I give it 10 of 10 cute babies and I recommend it for ALL OYLER AUDIENCES.





Next up is Alpha Dog. This film is one that you might not have heard of, but it got a lot of hype because it was the first major role of my hearththrob crush, Justin Timberlake. It's based on a true story of some rich spoiled jerk-offs living in California that do drugs and party off of their parent's money and then they get into some serious trouble. It sounds stupid, but it is actually really good and really interesting. Good performances by all- ESPECIALLY Justin Timberlake. It is full of cussing, nudity, and drug use, so viewer discretion advised. I wasn't expecting much from this film- but I actually really liked it a lot. Alpha Dog- I give it 7 out of 10 cute babies and, I recommend it for Andy and Amy only I think.





Next up- Dreamgirls. Now I avoided watching this for a long time. I don't know why- even being a musical theatre person it just didn't interest me. But I finally gave in, and I'm glad I did. For those of you who don't know- Dreamgirls is a musical that debuted on Broadway in 1982. It is based on the story of what happened between Diana Ross and The Supremes and Barry Gordy Jr. (founder of Motown Records). It is very controversial- some of the members of the Supremes deny it and some don't. VERY INTERESTING. I loved it because of all of the history involved in the musical. Watch it and see if you can figure out what stars the characters are supposed to be portraying. And then go read up on the film on Wikipedia. It is SUPER interesting. Also- it has some great songs. And if you are wondering- YES, Jennifer Hudson DID deserve her Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress. She was AMAZING. You'll see. Dreamgirls- I give it 8 out of 10 cute babies and I recommend this for all of you (even Katie. She will love it)
.













Okay I think that is all for now. I watched Jesus Camp. Don't know if I reviewed this one before, but you HAVE GOT to watch it. It is a documentary about Pentecostal Christians and how they are brainwashing small children into being in an "army for God." It's nuts. You have to watch it. It will give you a whole new perspective on Christianity and what it is to raise your kids TRULY Christian. The kids in the movie scared me. I mean seriously- who still believes in Creationism? These crazy Jesus Camp kids do. Oh...and Dad also. Can't forget Dad. Anyway- you ALL should watch this movie.



Got a busy week so I must go for now. Hope all is well. I will see you guys this weekend.


Lindsay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home