The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ecclectic Movie Review for June 20

So, as usual I have been watching a lot of movies. But, in this case, the movies are a very wide variety. Here are my reviews:



Spiderman 3:

I love comic book movies. And I love the Spiderman movies. But this one was the worst. Here is why:

*The villians sucked (not really the writers fault because they are characters from the comic books written by Stan Lee. I'll blame him). A man made of Sand? What kind of power is that? I mean.....are you scared of sand? I'm not. An evil Spiderman named Venom is a cool idea, and I will admit that Topher Grace was awesome in the role....but the villian just wasn't very good.

*Plot was kindof stupid this time around. I like the conflict of Spiderman battling with an internal conflict, but everything else was just stupid.

*Kirsten Dunst. I HATE HER.

*Corny corny corny. These movies are always very stylized and "by the book" if you will....but the dialogue and acting was beyond corny.

Overall, I was dissapointed. It dragged and seemed very disjointed. Blah. If you care about the Spiderman movies, wait until it comes out on video.

I give it 5 out of 10 tacos. (We are back on the "taco scale")



F*CK: The Documentary:

This film was AWESOME. It's so thorough I can't really even begin to tell you the content. Just know that you will learn a lot about my favorite word- what it means, it's impact on the world/nation/society/politics/family, uses, etc. It's a great documentary- especially if you like the f-word and don't understand why people let something like words affect them so much. Mom and Dad might skip this one. But Andy and Amy I think would love it. Dwayne and Jenny....not sure. You be the judge. Just know that it's not just a bunch of filth and f-bombs. It's more of a social commentary on the word.

I give it 10 out of 10 tacos.


Because I Said So:

Alright, alright...I know you're wondering why I watched this. The truth is- Cameron went to go play with his boyfriends, and I wanted to just have some relaxing girl time: glass of wine and a chick flick. This one was actually okay because it has Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore in it. It's pretty much about the relationship between a worrying, obsessive mother and her daughter. I liked it for it what it was. Diane Keaton was awesome. She reminded me so much of Mom...not in a bad way...just in a funny way. So, I would say that if you are a girl you should check this one out. Not really that cheezy, so that was good. As far as Chick Flicks go, it was pretty good and didn't make me groan to much. I think Mom would like it.

I give it 6 out of 10 tacos.



Dave Chapelle's Block Party:

I liked this one. It's just Dave putting on a big block party in Brooklyn and taping the process. I would say that it is half comedy and half music. But, you guys might want to avoid it if you don't like the music. Some of the artists featured were me and Cam's favorites, so we really liked it. Dave has similar taste in music to ours- he likes hip hop and rap that actually means something and has a message rather than just bragging about bling, limos, and hos. And the artists that were at the Block Party were those kind of people: The Roots, Lauryn Hill, Common, Mos Def, Jill Scott, Dead Prez, John Legend. Anyway- the music was great and Dave just being funny was great. I would say if you can tolerate the music or give it a chance, you would enjoy this. I did.

I give it 7 out of 10 tacos.


Stomp the Yard:

We watched it for the stepping. (In case you are unfamiliar- black fraternities and sororities do this thing called "stepping"- they create these elaborate routines using their bodies- kind of like "Stomp" without the buckets and broomsticks. It's really cool and Cameron and I went to colleges where they had "step" competitions. They are really fun to watch).

But, that being said....don't watch this movie. It was trite and the stepping wasn't that great.

I give it 2 out of 10 tacos.


The Bourne Identity:


I know I'm a little behind on this one....The "Bourne" trilogy started a few years ago. But the final film comes out this summer (The Bourne Ultimatum), and I had always heard that the films were awesome...so I decided to catch up. And I would have to say I agree- they are awesome. Matt Damon stars in them and he is AWESOME as an action star. I think he's a great actor anyway, and he really did well as an action star. The film wasn't so complicated that it lost me (they usually are), and it was just overall awesome. So, next I will have to watch The Bourne Supremecy so that I can watch the third film this summer. If you aren't really an action fan, you will still like this. I think it's on the high end of action films.

I give it 9 out of 10 tacos.





Alright...that should do it. More to come soon.



Hugs


Lindsay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home