The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Fruits of the Labor


Dwayne, this is what I got with some of my profits. It will make the next project much easier. Also, I heard a news report today that said Universitys' are going to offer courses in "Old World" Architecture. It was described as a welcome departure from the modern teaching of today. He said it would utilize stone and iron like in the good old days. What's this all about? Have a great night, and tell Jenny Hi. Dad.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM , Blogger Dwayne said...

    That looks reaaallllly nice. I'm so happy to see you spent some of the money on a new saw!! You should definitely get some years out that one. That extension arm should make things a lot easier. Sure beats that balanceing act with a 4x8 sheet...one leg propping up the sheet, another braced for the kickback :).

    Old World Architecture??? Whatever that is, I think they did it back in time of the Old World? -In the time of glassblowers and horse-shoers.

    These trends do come back around... the Post-Modern phase of the earlier 80's was an example, but they rarely take hold in acadamia. I seriously doubt this one means much of anything, as the Post-modernists are still recovering from the beating they took in the Nineties. It is more likely just a story of wishful thinking dreamed up by a conservative historicist architect frustrated with current trends. I myself am frustrated with the current trends, but a return to the Old World seems a bit cooky. Well, that response is probably a little more serious than you were looking for...but this is obviously a subject close to my heart.

     
  • At 12:27 AM , Blogger Dwayne said...

    Just to add to that:

    "The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom."
    H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

     
  • At 10:28 AM , Blogger Mrs. G said...

    also let me add....

    you guys both blow.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home