The Oyler Family Blog

Sadly, we are several states away from family and friends. But, we KNOW that they long to hear our mundane stories and self-righteous opinions. Never fear, friends- you can stay informed right here.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Lent is upon us

So....it's been while. I've been super-busy preparing for one-act play, so I haven't been able to update in a while.

Speaking of updates- Dwayne, you never got back to me with my request. Read the last post.

Anyway, I have been getting ready for 0ne-act play. I know you guys don't know what this is, so let me explain. This is the high school theatre competition in Texas. It is pretty hardcore. It is a 40 minute one-act play, and there are a lot of rules and regulations. I have a 1000 dollar budget, so that's how big of a deal it is. This is pretty much the second biggest part of my job. It's similar to like the football coach's playoff games for me. The first competition is March 27, so we are getting down to the wire. I'm going crazy, but we are going to be great. Hopefully we will do well.

We are also prepping for the NYC trip next week. We leave Tuesday and come back Sunday. We will be seeing a live taping of The Colbert Report, the "best improv show in NYC" (according to a bunch of people), and also Spamelot. It should be great. We are really looking foward to it. We also, for the first time, get to see the St. Patrick's Day parade. I can't imagine the madness that will go on there. It's going to be awesome.

Coming up I am also moving. Currently I am living in 505 sq feet and paying $565 a month to live there. My new apartment will be 768 sq ft and $445 per month. It also has a fireplace a sunroom. You do the math on that one. It's going to be awesome, and my move-in date is April 1. Joe Helmberger is helping me move.

I also have scheduled some auditions in the area. The week of march 25-26 I am doing a Dallas "general audition" which means that a bunch of the area directors and producers that are doing in Dallas get to watch me all at once. About 30 of them. So hopefully I will get in a show this summer...maybe a paying gig. I am also auditioning for Garland Summer Musicals for Kiss me Kate and Singin' in the Rain. Hopefully I will get to do something this summer. I miss performing.

My improv troupe at the high school had its first high school show, and it was a hit. There were over a 100 people there, and everyone had a great time. We have another one on March 25 for the Farmersville Chamber of Commerce banquet, and also April 10 at the high school again. Hopefully we will continue to do well. We also got about $150 in donations towards getting t-shirts and helping out the troupe. So that was awesome!

I think that is all that is going one for me......(yeah, i know "that's ALL?") I am busy. In April things will slow down for me.

For Lent I gave up sweets and I Cameron and I vowed to make it to church every weekend. We've been doing well so far. We both went to church on Ash Wednesday and Sunday together at a cathedral in Dallas. So, that is good.

Anyways, let me know what everyone else is up to. I have been too busy to write.

Love you

Lins

3 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Mrs. G said...

    Dad,

    We are not doing No Code this year. It is really difficult to get a lesser known play like that approved (we have to get our plays approved) and so I am thinking of doing it next year. It's a great play, and really powerful.

    Cameron says hi, and that he'll keep me safe in new york.

    who are you betting on this year in the ncaa tourney? just wondering.

    love you and i'll see you soon enough. as soon as you have some details on turkey track let me know so that cameron and i can start planning.

    Lins

     
  • At 7:55 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

    Lindsay,
    Sorry...dwayne and I have been so busy, haven't had time to give you some more places to go in new york. In terms of clubs, I would suggest going to the meatpacking district. Its the area that we went last time you were in town. There are several clubs and bars there, like APT, Lotus, Cielo. It is around 13th/14th st. and 9th avenue.
    if you are near downtown, another good place is a club called BLVD. Its by spring st and on bowery st. On bowery,there are around 3 or 4 bar/clubs around there. i can't vouch for it being good now, but a year ago it was cool. but you know how new york is, everything changes so fast.
    just remember, don't wear tennis shoes or sandals for guys. girls can pretty much get in anywhere.

    good luck and have fun!

     
  • At 9:11 AM , Blogger Mrs. G said...

    Jenny-

    Thanks for the info. We'll check them out.

    Lins

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home